“You like me. You really like me”. Sally Field made that quote famous after receiving an Oscar for her role in the movie Places in the Heart. Today, I am acknowledging that at least one person, likes me. They really like me. 😄
I’ve been nominated by a fellow blogger for an award called the Liebster Award. From what I can tell, it’s really just a fun way to spread the word about small blogs that other bloggers enjoy reading. Ok, so it’s not an Oscar. I totally appreciate the fact that anyone enjoys reading my blog. It is especially gratifying when another blogger (not just my friends and family) enjoy my blog. So, thank you for this honor Crayon on the Wall!
Here are the required steps to “accepting” this award.
Step One:Thank the Liebster-winning blogger who nominated you.
Thank you again Crayon on the Wall! I think your blog is pretty awesome too!
Step Two: Post 11 facts about yourself.
1. I am a reality TV junkie. Survivor, Big Brother, The Bachelor – If it’s “non-scripted” (I use that term lightly) and trashy, we watch it.
2. I never finish my glass of milk with dinner. I always leave one or two sips (it drives my husband crazy!).
3. I am passionate in my belief that the toilet paper should be dispensed over the roll. I have been known to change it to the correct way at friends’ houses.
4. I cannot be without my iPhone for more than a few minutes. It annoys me that I am so attached to it.
5. I knew I was going to marry Chuck after our first date. I even told my mom that fact the next day. I never believed in soul mates. That date changed my mind. We were meant for each other.
6. I used to be a vegetarian. I still don’t eat beef or pork.
7. I am terrified of birds.
8. I am a grammar perfectionist. Poor grammar (spoken and written) drives me nuts! That being said, please don’t re-read this post looking for mistakes to point out. 😉
9. I really want a horse. But, the homeowners association frowns upon horses in the backyard. I once tamed a blind horse that was terrified of people. Her name was Helen. My voice became the only one she responded to. It is still one of my greatest accomplishments.
10. I have seen Kid Rock in concert 6 (soon to be 7!) times. That may surprise those of you that don’t “know” me.
11. I love my children more than anything else in this world. I once dreamed of being a veterinarian, I ended up being a salesperson. I now realize I was meant to be a mommy.
Step Three: Answer the 11 questions presented by your nominator. (These can be answered in one post or many.)
1. Why did you start your blog?
I originally started this blog to keep our friends and family updated on our pregnancy. It was overwhelming having to talk about our baby having Down syndrome, the many doctor appointments, and the various test results to every single person that asked. This blog also became an outlet for my emotions. I am not one to keep my feelings bottled up. I needed to be able to talk about my feelings. Unfortunately, some people found the subject matter (or my raw emotional state) upsetting so it was hard to have actual conversations outside the two or three people I routinely relied on. This blog continues to be a way to keep friends and family updated, as well as an online journal of sorts about our lives. Most importantly, it has been a way to connect with other people who have been through similar experiences. I have had women reach out to me after they received a prenatal diagnosis. They tell me how a certain blog post touched them or helped them or eased their fears or made them feel not so alone. That is the driving force of this blog today. I want to reach others who have just been told their child has Down syndrome, or more recently, Infantile Spasms. I want others to see that although it isn’t always roses and rainbows it really is ok. What feels like the end for so many really is just the beginning. I am so grateful for the opportunity to show my readers just that.
2. What is your favorite book?
I love to read but rarely find time anymore. My all time favorite book is probably ‘The Art of Dancing in the Rain’ by Garth Stein. It’s told from the perspective of a dog. Brilliant.
3. If you could meet any historical figure, who would it be and why?
Rosa Parks. She stood up (or more literally, sat down) for what she believed in. She took on the bullies who treated her poorly. She didn’t back down when faced with the daunting task of demanding human rights. She helped change the world with one act of defiance. You go girl!
4. What is your favorite outdoor activity?
Camping. In a tent. Although I’d happily sleep in a trailer if we had one!
5. If you could only have one dessert for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Mmmmm!
6. Led Zeppelin or Rolling Stones?
No question – Led Zeppelin!
7. What is your favorite movie?
8. If you could live in any time period, which would it be?
This was a hard one for me. Each era had turmoil. Originally, I thought the 60’s – Leave it to Beaver made life seem ideal back then. But there was war and segregation. The 90’s were a pretty great decade to live through but I don’t know that I’d want to go back. I like the technology of today but the simplicity of the past. But then again, the future excites me. Hmmmm, maybe I’m happy right here, right now.
9. What is your favorite holiday and why?
Christmas. I love everything about it. The twinkling lights, the smell of pine and cinnamon, finding the perfect gift, Christmas carols, family traditions, and most importantly, the reason we celebrate it!
10. What is a trait you admire most in people?
11. In which Olympic event have you imagined yourself winning a gold medal?
Gymnastics – although I’ve never been a gymnast. Every four years after the women’s all around competition has aired, you can find me in the yard doing cartwheels and “routines”. I am lucky I haven’t broken my leg.
Step Four: Create 11 questions for your nominees to answer.
1. Why did you start writing a blog?
2. What is your dream job?
3. The ocean or a lake – which do you prefer?
4. If you had to pick one place in your city/state to bring a tourist where would you take them?
5. What is your favorite drink? (Alcoholic or non-alcoholic)
6. Best invention of the last decade?
7. Where is your favorite place to vacation?
8. Paper, plastic, or re-usable bags at the grocery store?
9. What is the one thing you would save from your house in a disaster (besides people and pets)?
10. What is your favorite animal and why?
11. If a news reporter was to follow you for a “Day in the life of…” segment, what would the headline say?
Step Five: Recognize 11 blogs (doesn’t have to be 11!) that you feel deserve recognition. These blogs should have less than 200 followers to the best of your knowledge. Remember to notify them by leaving a comment on their blog with a link to the nomination!
I love so many blogs, mostly ones written by my fellow Down syndrome mommies. I know a couple have already been nominated for a Liebster Award so I didn’t include those. These blogs are definitely ones I think YOU should check out, therefor they are my nominated blogs (in no particular order):
Step Six: Display the award badge on your blog.